A Question re: Stealing Customers??

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:58:31 -0700

>One thing that seems to help in our area is that there is plenty of work
>to go around.  I also never deliberately go after someone else's
>customers.  If a fellow technician has a school contract that I know or
>suspect they want to keep, I will not try to underbid them.

>Having a good relationship with other technicians has been important to
>me.  Other technicians have taught me, bailed me out of tight spots and
>covered for me when I was on a trip.  It fascinates me, as it does you,
>that we are at the same time competitors and friends who share our
>knowledge with one another.
>
>And, from a former English teacher, comradery = camaraderie.  :-)
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Then there are those who can't handle it.

I recently lost someone I considered a good friend.  He is a 20 year plus
tech who is pretty much embedded in this area.  Everyone knows him, everyone
likes him.  He's not a PTG member but he subscribes to the guild magazine.
I've sent him customers who've bought pianos and hired him as their new
tuner (on my recommendation).  I considered him a friend even though we
never got that close.  I bought my 1922 M from him.  I've never posed even a
remote threat to his business.  BUT . . .  the local, small music shop in
town called him in search of a tech to help his tiny expansion into the
acoustic piano market.  This friend I lost HATES this store and its owner
and has a long list of reasons.  However, knowing I would be interested he
recommends me.  Now that I work for the guy (I would hardly even call it
work) he stops returning my phone calls then writes me a scathing letter
essentially "blowing me off."  He insults skills and my part time status
saying it's a "hobby" and says how much it stinks that I'm keeping so-and-so
in the piano business.

Some people are funny about some things.  Perceptions surely get involved
and feelings get hurt.  I agree with everything written in response to this
thread.  I just told this story to show there might be that exception to the
rule.  I'd give up the part time tuning to have this friend back but I'm
certain it's too late.

Glenn.