Coleman vs Coleman Tuneoff

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:49:23 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ron:

You are right to note that we have no standards on false beats
elimination and voicing. We do have many varied classes which touch on
these items, but there is no requirement in any of our tests to show that
one understands these things. It would be fun to install a substitute
treated hammer in an otherwise good sounding piano to see if a technician
can voice the hammer to fit in with its neighbors. I have demonstrated
this in voicing classes which I have taught in the past.

I don't know just how we might rig up a test for false beat elimination.
This may require major surgery on a living or near living piano. Snugging
strings at the bridge pins is only a temporary fix in my opinion. Fixing
string indentations at the bridge involves major surgery. Oversize bridge
pins sometimes helps. I just can't imagine yet how we could properly test
a persons ability to deal with this.

Jim Coleman, Sr.