heavy actioan

Frank Cahill fcahill@erols.com
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 13:51:06 -0500

A440A@AOL.COM wrote:

> >Am I missing something? The changes due to damaper adjustment are not
> >earth shattering...I'd hate to remove a spinet action, adjust dampers,
> >and then find out it was a waste of time.
>
> Is the hammer blow correct?  If it has been increased, the jack will be
> approaching the rotation of the butt (geez, that sounds obscene) from a
> steeper angle, on a much less efficient vector.
>    Try blocking the hammer rail a little closer to the strings, taking out
> the lost motion, and then see what your resistance feels like.  Oh yea,  make
> sure that the keys haven't had the weights removed........
> Regards,
> Ed Foote

Hi, Ed. This piano has had very little use. Blocking the hammers up is
easy, though.

This piano has those square rubber nuts on the lift wires...I've never
been able to find a tool for those things. Adjusting lost motion is a
bear on these types of lifters.

I never thought about the efficiency in relation to blow distance. Seems
obvious now!

Thanks.
--

Frank Cahill
Associate Member, Piano Technicians Guild