MOLDED KEY TOPS

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Fri, 17 Dec 1999 01:00:23 EST

In a message dated 12/16/99 7:08:40 PM, tomnjan@bellsouth.net writes:

<< On trimming one of the newly installed key tops by
hand using a rasp made of a carefully squared plank and attached
sandpaper, I discovered that the key wood was not square, thus the key
and top now displays a noticeable taper.>>

For best work, Jigs and sandpaper just don't do a good job because they sand
the side of the key as well as the top. If you were only to lightly touch the
side of the key with sandpaper and "just clean them up to fresh wood", taking
off only the thickness of a postage stamp, that would be .005" to .006" off
of each side, seemingly trivial.  But -  times two sides of the key, -equals
perhaps .012" per key  - times 52 keys - equals  five-eighths of an inch of
gap width added to the set of keys.

This is the minimum! The operations I have seen doing keys badly  just run
the side of the key against a moving belt or disk, and since they sand, then
look, then sand, then look, they cannot see as they sand and they frequently
take .015" or .020" inches off each side. ( times two sides equals .040",
times 52 keys equals TWO INCHES of gap added to whatever the keys already
had. The keys look like  stand alone teeth in the mouth of an old man with
receding gums.

Don't sand, EVER, - because you always sand off wood and increase gap.

The keys I do look fantastic, and I take nothing off the wood sides of the
keys. I  trim off only  the top material.  I use a very fine 10 inch single
mill file.

Buy a new file of top quality, never use it on anything but plastic key tops
and it will stay very sharp and cut very fast  forever. Pad the jaws of a
good 4" vise with thick leather and lightly clamp the key side to be trimmed
facing up. ( Generally more stable if you actually clamp on the key top
itself, just leaving 1/4"  stick above the jaws of the vise. ) Using a handle
on the tang,  fore and aft grip on the file and light pressure, just file
down the plastic. You can see the amount of material removed with every
stroke. You can see, and feel, that you have only perhaps .001" to .002" left
before the side of the key top is dead flat with the wood of the key, and one
last light lick with the file placed flat on the wood takes the key top dead
even with the side, and only removes the dirty fingerprints from the side of
the key, - and no wood at all.  You can easily feel the file going from a
cutting action to a sliding condition. It is a "skill" thing.

Then put the key upright in the vise, clamped farther back  with the entire
key top sticking well out and lightly radius the edges and corners of the top
with the same file.  Polish. Done.

This actually goes fairly fast, and the result is superb.

This method DOES NOT WORK with a poor quality or dull file. You will stand
there cursing because it is taking waaaaay too long.

One possible variant to this method is to use a medium mill file to take the
excess key top material off to about .006" to .010" remaining, then switch to
a fine file to finish.

Happy Holidays,

Bill Simon
Phoenix