Choice

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 08:27:03 -0500

>From an invest standpoint, which piano will stand up to commercial
playing and offer the best resale price down the line.

The Bechsteins I have seen have a propensity for cracked plates.
Will that shimming withstand the rigors of temperature fluctuations?

For that kind of money, why did they not replace the board and install
an entire new set of ivories. I don't like patch work on a high end piano.

Turned legs could be made for the BB.

Regards,

Jon Page

At 03:16 PM 12/14/1999 -0800, you wrote:
>List,
>
>I have a Hotel which just informed they are opening a new
>fancy restaurant.  They want a ebony, high polish seven foot
>grand.  I was sent to look at a Bechstein B, built at the turn of
>the century and restored in the Bechstein factory.  It is
>beautiful!  Those round turned legs.  Here is what was done:
>New Renner action, (The tone is raw like it hasn't been voiced
>or gone over), numerous ivories replaced (well-done but the
>color  match isn't so great) new pinblock, restrung, case and
>plate refinished (fabulous, like a new, hey it is new!).  Here is
>the kicker though, the soundboard was shimmed and repaired,
>refinished and  original bridge.  Shimming work was
>immaculate.  Now they can get a brand new Mason & Hamlin
>BB for same price that the dealer is asking for the Bechstein.
>My advice was to go for the BB rather than take a chance on
>a 100 year old board.  Unfortunately I think the designer is
>going to really love those Bechstein legs.
>
>What do you think?
>

>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA
>ilvey@jps.net