T'was the day Before Christmas

Robert Goodale rrg@nevada.edu
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:22:53 -0600

T'was the Day Before Christmas
By Robert R. Goodale, RPT
---------------------------------------

T'was the day Before Christmas and all through the land,
pianists were practicing with left and right hands.
The music was out on tables and the chairs,
with the carols in piles all sorted with care.

Churches were planning their candlelight eve,
and printing up programs for people to read.
And in concert halls all over the town,
stages were readied with lights and with sound.

When rehearsal time came with voices and laughter,
the pianos were awful, what was the matter!
Away to the phone they then went to call,
to summon the tuner to the music hall!

Schedules were tight after all t'was the season,
those who called early knew there was good reason.
Panic was stricken, they all must be tuned,
they had to be done and it must be done soon!

Returning back home from a day full of spinets,
the phone began ringing in a matter of minutes.
I answered quite slowly, expecting the worst,
my feeling was right and I wanted to curse!

With pencil in hand I new my mistake,
a long day ahead and I'd have to work late.
Early next morning with tool kit in hand,
I dashed off to work on uprights and grands.

Now Steinway, next Baldwin, a Kohler & Campbell,
a Mason and Hamlin with an action in shambles!
Now  Kawai, Young Chang, then a really flat kimball,
I pounded so much that my fingers were nimble!

Setting the pins I thought to myself,
what I need now is a tuning trained elf!
Then all of a sudden walked through the door,
a technician who looked like none seen before!

He was all dressed in felt so neat and so pressed,
with black sound board buttons down his round chest.
With bridal strap laces on hammer shaped boots,
his belt made from string braid around his felt suit.

Without such a word he gave me a wink,
then sat at the keyboard and started to plink.
With great speed his temperament soon was complete,
then on to the unisons so pure and so neat!

I went to the next one he followed behind,
tuning so fast it boggled the mind!
There could be no doubt this was a technician,
with powers to pleased the most picky musician.

Finally the last one he quickly completed,
there once again his performance repeated.
Then with a smile he walked to the door,
exactly the way he had entered before.

I wanted to thank him for saving my day,
but outside I noticed he'd left on a sleigh!
And up in the air I waved with delight,
"Merry Christmas to you, and have a good night!"