Perfect Pitch

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Tue, 14 Dec 1999 12:25:26 -0600

Hi Paul,

I would tune the A string and then *afterwards* check. As I was teaching
professionally I did it *a lot*. It is almost a parlor trick to learn to do
this. The other strings on a violin *are* tuned to the A. And of course
just as in a piano impedance of the instrument makes a difference. It is
sometimes a very noticeable one in fact a German factory fiddle compared to
a French factory fiddle in one case it was really impossible to have
perfect fifths on both and have the 2 intruments *intune* on the G string.

At 07:32 AM 12/14/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Don wrote:
>

>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> When I was a freelance fiddle player I would routinely tune my violin
>> within 2 cents of A440 without referrence to a pitch source.  I was not
>> particularly exceptional in this regard--nor do I have *perfect pitch*.
>>
>Don,
>
>I'm sure it was very close, but how do you know that it was within two
>cents if you didn't use a reference?  More important, I'm sure you never
>tuned each of the four strings individually without reference to the
>others.
>
>Paul

Regards,
drose@dlcwest.com