new tool? was Re: Time to level pins, dress coils...?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 08:49:26 EST

In a message dated 12/8/99 1:51:43 AM !!!First Boot!!!, kam544@flash.net
writes:

<< You can control the pitch from dropping with the tuning pin setter by using
 the handle.*  You can even it make it go sharp.  The more pianos you tap
 pins with, the greater one learns to exercise the control.

 string does not slip..."
 (Pianotek Supply Company catalog, page B-10)

 I currently tap tuning pins with a heavy duty version of the essentially
 the same idea.  It's one I bought from Pianotek at one of the national
 conventions and have been using it ever since.  However, I don't see it
 listed it in their catalog.

 Keith McGavern >>

I stand corrected. If anyone has used this tool, how many tunings did it take
to stabilize the piano?

In all my years of doing what Diane was asking about, I only did this once. I
agree with Newton. If it aint broke, don't fix it. I did it on a relatively
newly strung piano, because the customer was complaining about tuning
instability. Unfortunately I did this early in my career before I knew the
consequences. That is when I discovered that it will take three of four
tunings to get the piano back in shape. I charged only for the tapping, and
lost my shirt tuning the piano. I didn't tell the customer I would have to
tune the piano several times, so she thought it was something I did wrong. I
lost the customer because of that.

Wim