Christmas "overtime" premium?

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 06:42:23 -0600

David,

If I had something planned for that time slot other than tuning, yeah, I
would charge extra.  If I wasn't doing anything that time, I'd kindly accept
the job at regular price.  They certainly would not get a discount in the
situation you described, when you already had your work day planned.  Piano
tuners do have a life outside of work, don't they?  :-)

My father told me once about a wedding he tuned for.  He got a call late
Saturday night around 10 or 11.  The man had just realized that the piano
for his daughter's wedding the following day had not been tuned.  He was
rather desperately needing someone, but had just then thought to call.  So,
my dad told him it would be double, and he could do it at 6 a.m.  He was an
early riser, and wanted to be able to go to church that day afterwards.  The
man did not balk at the price, but did at the time.  :-)  However, he was
there at six.

So, I think that whenever a tuning encroaches on "my time,"  the price
should go up.  Supply and demand.

John Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of David Renaud
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 1999 4:58 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Christmas "overtime" premium?

Lets say your booked up too capacity and then some till Christmas.
What is the consensus about charging a premium for short notice
"emergency" tunings.

For example:     Last week someone requests four
concert tunings on 24 hrs notice. There are two grands to
tune together twice for 4 hands concerts.  They are coming
into town after sitting in a cold truck for a few days.
They want them both done on the Friday and Saturday.
Yes, they waited till Thursday to book a technician.
I already have over 12hrs work both days, but it is possible
and 5 min. from home. The usual people I call for help are busy.
The client was insistent that they should get a discount for the
second piano as usual, but I was insistent that I
should not be doing it, but if they must have me I would charge
my regular rate for each, no discounts.
They reluctantly paid, but not without some tension.
Worked out OK. Pianos were very nice. Easy tunings.

So.
In general is it wrong to charge extra for emergency overtime?
Would most people walk away, avoiding creating ill will with an extra
charge?
How do you deal with promoters that order tunings like ordering pizza.
I've heard of a technician charging $250 to go out on New Years Eve on a
couple hours notice.

                                All opinions welcome
                                Cheers
                                Dave Renaud