Hazardous environment

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 08:10:18 -0500

Doug,

I have never told anyone I wouldn't return for health reasons, but there
have been other reasons.  I try to be as tactful as I can, while still
giving specifics they can understand.  Sometimes I paint myself as the
culprit.  "It might be best if you called another tuner.  After I was
here the last time I found I was very sensitive to the smoke and dog
smell and actually got sick.  And the top of the piano really should be
cleaned off by the client before the tuner arrives.  If there is a way
to take care of these things, then I'm willing to give it another try."

If you keep the client, at least the environment will be better than
before.  If during the next tuning it is still a problem, when she calls
again just tell her so and say, "I'm sorry, but you'll need to call
someone else."  If you lose the client, you'll be happy you don't have
to go back, and things may be better for the next technician because you
told the client things she may not have even realized.  And you were a
gentleman through the whole thing.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger