Knuckles

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Thu, 02 Dec 1999 16:49:16 -0500

At 04:00 PM 12/02/1999 -0400, you wrote:

>Richard Brekne wrote: The jack
>
>> moves in both directions across the knuckle...so which direction it
>> needs the smooth run, and why this is so
>
>Rough moving toward the flange and smooth toward the hammer.
>This is supposed to give better grip for the jack so it doesn't skip out
>(cheat) as easily, and smooth toward the hammer should make it less
>resistant for easier jack return.  Since the fingers of a pianist are much
>stronger than a rep/jack spring they are better able to overcome the
>friction caused by this roughness.  I believe that some European Pianos
>reverse the nap direction with the thinking that it makes a smoother feel
>for the pianist and possibly quieter.
>-mike

My thinking is the opposite.  Smooth knap towards the flange.
This reduces friction on the keystroke and consequently lowers DW a few grams.
If the knap were to interfere with the jack returning under the knuckle, the
knuckles are too ropugh and need replaceing.

The motion of the balancier during play is towards the flange also.

For optimum action response, reduce friction at every chance.

Regards,

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net