Dummy weights (was Re: Touchweight)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 16:22:04 -0400

Paul,  thanks for the additional on the weights-on-a-stick.

Scotch is whiskey, cellophane tape, or a thrifty breed of people. Skotch
(with a 'K') is a brand name for an otherwise generic "wood joiner". They
are in the same family with "corrugated" nails, and appear to be made of
soft steel, possibly galvanized. They are typically used for edge-joining
wood, one group of four spikes in one piece of material, a bridge of about
1/2", then the other group of four spikes. I still haven't found mine, but
recall the entire joiner is approx. 1/2" wide by 1-1/2 ~ 2" long.

I think I originally discovered them in an old APSCO catalog, where they
were endorsed for repairing broken keysticks. One attempt at that is all it
took to discover that the joiners were better suited for other purposes. I
later used them for building cabinets and boxes for my various vans &
campers -- to hold parts together while glue dries. Maybe that's why I
can't find them now... may have used them all!

Jim Harvey, RPT