Two action questions

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 31 Aug 1999 14:27:24 -0600

Hi Richard,

#1 Sounds like you need a new set of knuckles, bolstering knuckles only
gives a so-so type of repair or regulation.

#2 Could be one of two or three things. 1. the glide bolts are down too far
and is lifting the rear of the frame.  2. The back rail needs bedding, this
is over looked by most techs. I have a very long blade for my universal
that will reach between the strings so that I can tap down on it, and
listen to bedding quality. 3. The part of the frame that comes into contact
with the dag is worn. In which case, glue a strip of hard wood veneer and
sand down to fit.

Just some thoughts.
roger

At 07:29 PM 31/08/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi list
>
>I got two questions for you all relating to grand actions.
>
>#1.  From time to time I run into a so called quality grand sort (I wont
>mention the name but it starts with a "P"  grin) that has an odd ball
>problem regarding regulation. Basically said, unless the jack is
>regulated waaaayyy back, the note will miss. I ran into this problem on
>an action I just reworked, I had repacked the nuckles insureing a nice
>round shape, took much care to regulate the return springs nicely,
>height of the tip of the jack to repetition lever was set to play it
>safe (I have had this problem before on other such grands) made sure of
>basically everything.  Still, upon setting the action in the piano
>fifteen or twenty notes miss. And try as I may to find a reason, the
>only thing that seems to help is to set the jacks so that they are well
>back of the back edge of the core of the knuckle. Jack tips are barely
>beveled and this is taken into acount. I suspect action geometry..(It is
>never all that good on these things). Any ideas ???
>

>#2. Brand new Yamaha C7.  Action is very well bedded, and regulated.
>Still on hard play in the middle area, 8 or 9 hammers on each side of
>the note being hit raise (hop) very noticible. Feels like the hammer
>rail is moving. All screws are dead tight. Lots of power seems to
>dissapear. Only happens in the middle section of the action..
>Suggestions ??
>
>Thanks muchly
>
>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.