Paper Punchings Archiac?

Sy Zabrocki only4zab@imt.net
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:08:33 -0600

List--from Sy Zabrocki   =20

Some new high end pianos sell in excess of $50,000. All that cash and we =
still use paper punchings to level keys and set key dip. Wouldn't =
someone eventually consider this to be archiac. Not really saying it is, =
just asking the question.

About 25 or 30 years ago a strange vertical piano was exhibited at one =
of the trade shows. I seem to remember the name as a Thomas and I =
believe it had all plastic componets. The keys on this piano could be =
leveled and key dip set with a clever set of threaded key pins. My =
memory of how this worked is faint but I'll try explain.

Imagine an extra long balance rail pin as an axle with a small wheel =
swedged about half way up the shaft. The lower end of the balance rail =
pin is threaded and screwed into the keybed. So now place a cloth =
balance rail punching on the round disc shaped (wheel) and place the key =
over the pin like normal. The top end of the pin is slotted so it can be =
turned with a screwdriver. Turning the top of the balance rail pin =
either way raises the key up or down thus eliminating the need for paper =
punchings.=20

Setting the key dip was similar. Again the front rail pin had a disc =
mounted about half way up the shaft. The lower part of the pin was =
threaded and screwed into the keybed. This time the front rail pin was =
slotted at the bottom end. The key dip was adjusted by inserting a screw =
driver into the hole UNDER the keybed. A cloth front rail punching is =
now on the disc (wheel). As the front pin is turned from under the =
keybed the punching raises or lowers, thus eliminating the need for =
paper punchings. With this system there probably would be no need for a =
key frame.

All this pertains to a vertical piano. The grand piano key frame has to =
shift so it becomes complicated to apply this to the grand action.=20

Has anyone seen this system or any similar to it?

Sy Zabrocki