Alternative Temperaments

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 23:09:24 -0500

Greetings Clark, list,
	Interesting selections posted.  My question is, how is 19 tone, 22, OR xx tone
written out? Can the familiar music staff be used?

Also you wrote.... "I haven't gotten around to trying Paul Erlich's "hexachordal
dodecatonic" 12 from 22 scale, but I have an instrument tuned to a closed 1/3
syntonic comma meantone,
alias 19tet."

The 1/3 syntonic comma meantone is mentioned in New Groves, (Temperaments) as being
"in the guise of A 19 tone ET."

	Unfortunatly for poorly educated tuners like myself, (undergrad degree or less) no
one has bothered to explain what an "equal division of the octave into 19 parts"
is,  or how it is notated. Since I am quoting from Groves, I will be hung out to dry
if this is explained elseware  in Groves. Such is the jocular nature of piano tuners
to other piano tuners who go out on a limb to ask questions.  So what is a 19 note
octave?.

Du M'bric

----------
> From: Clark <caccola@net1plus.com>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Alternative Temperaments
> Date: Thursday, August 26, 1999 5:50 AM

The Star Spangled Banner:  http://www.io.com/~hmiller/music/star.mid

as well as other music in various temperaments:
http://www.io.com/~hmiller/music/music.html

I haven't gotten around to trying Paul Erlich's "hexachordal dodecatonic" 12 from
22 scale, but I have an instrument tuned to a closed 1/3 syntonic comma meantone,
alias 19tet.

Several major guitar companies are building instruments fretted (or not fretted)
for scales other than 12tet; also, it would seem that Paul has forgotten about the
22 tone piano in the works.

As to other things the pedestrian 12 tone piano can do, Ben Johnston's Music for
Microtonal Piano is an interesting example:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000001SJH/newmusicboonline/002-3371605-569704
5

Clark