The Steinway situation

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 09:15:37 EDT

In a message dated 8/27/99 6:02:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, you write:

<< Is anyone at Steinway on the list?  Are they aware of this discussion
 that is currently going on?  I think they should be.  Maybe someone
 should alert them (I have no connections).

 Clyde Hollinger

They may all still be on vacation.  They monitor the pianotech list and when
they see something of importance, they say something.  It may be an issue
that they have to discuss and resolve internally before anything is said
publicly.

>From what I have seen, I think the major problem is someone putting a
Steinway decal on a piano that is not and never was a Steinway.  To most of
us, this would be unthinkable but I have heard of such a case that happened
not long before I came to the place where I have lived now for 23 years.

Perhaps some similar incidents were traced to that one particular supplier.
It wouldn't make any difference to Steinway if the misused decals were
originally from the factory or whether they were the kind of facsimiles that
Decals Unlimited makes.  It is clearly wrong and detrimental to the company
to have its name on a product that did not originate from its factory.  I
hardly think that Steinway will want to try to prevent rebuilders or even
refinishers from putting on a suitable decal on a Steinway piano regardless
of the perceived quality of the workmanship.  A Steinway is a Steinway.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin