No crown , negative bearing

Del Gittinger delgit@acc-net.com
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:55:22 -0400

I have a customer with an Emerson 5' grand that was "re-worked" by =
another tech unknown to me and she has been disappointed with the sound. =
I examined the piano which has new hammers on old shanks, new bass =
strings with over-size tuning pins, doped treble wire tuning pins, no =
after touch, no crown, some speaking length bearing but negative rear =
(hitch pin side) bearing.  I doubt the crown and bearing were ever =
measured.  But, the new finish is OK.

She wants to know if I can make it sound better. I suggested regulation =
and possibly re-hanging the hammers on new shanks and flanges wilst =
establishing a proper strike line (current one not good) might achieve a =
little improvement but the lack of bearing and crown is a major problem.

Is it worth even considering re-stringing this piano as is?  I wouldn't =
think so and an Emerson grand is not worth the costs of new soundboard =
and such.

Del Gittinger, RPT
Del's Music Studio, Marion, OH
Piano Tuning & Service
Electronic Instrument repairs including organs
delgit@acc-net.com