decals

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:48:03 EDT

In a message dated 8/26/1999 8:20:14 PM, gutlo@bestweb.net writes:

<< Sources at Steinway inform me that they have heard nothing of Steinway's
alleged intention to restrict the use of their decals to authorized
rebuilders. >>

Arthur;
 Then that leaves us with Larry quoting S&S saying something completely
different and quite opposite.  And while I have absolutely no quarrel with
S&S controlling their trademark in any way they see fit, I think in this
case, if the fax from Larry is correctly quoting S&S, that it is a..........
well let's just say not a congenial decision.

  I have no axe to grind with S&S but now we have four versions , i.e. S&S
(as quoted by Larry), Larry's, yours,  and now Your "sources'". Since the two
passages, i.e.
""they have heard nothing of Steinway's alleged intention to *restrict* the
use of their decals to authorized rebuilders. ""  (alleged sources)
and
"Steinway has decided to *limit* the application of new decaIs bearing the
Steinway trademark...................... to those which have been rebuilt,
reconditioned, repaired and restored either *by Steinway or its authorized
agents*. (alleged quote)

  So that leaves us with a couple of choices which include (a.) Larry has
possibly unintentionally misquoted S&S or (b.) your "sources" are not current
with Corporate policy. There are other possible choices but they are for
someone other than me to decide on.

  Also it leaves us to decipher what was meant when S&S told us: