Alternative Temperaments

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 00:10:01 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/99 8:52:08 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Clark Panaccione
writes:

<< I would say that the 1/3 comma meantone, nearly perfectly posing as 19tet,
is
 much more "far out" sounding than 22tet and it has been historically favored.

 Clark Panaccione

Interesting that you would say this.  I have done this one and know how to
program the SAT to do it with perfect accuracy.  It is actually quite easy to
do and I will tell you how to do it if you would like to know (not deviations
of an FAC program).  The composer Thomas Salinas is known to have used it.  I
would think that it would be good for funeral music.

To me, it makes music sound like a Salvador Dali painting looks.  The chords
have a "melting" sound.  The music "oozes" out of the piano.

I consider 1/4 comma meantone to be at the opposite end of the spectrum from
ET and 1/3 comma meantone is one big step beyond that into a different realm.
 I would like to hear Debussy's "Pagodes" played in this temperament someday
because I think you might really hear the "Gamelon music" effect.  It would
completely transform the piano's sound into that of a virtual Gamelon music
orchestra, a kind of sound totally foreign to our ears but normal to that of
deep southeast Asia.

It is a very different and distant sound from the usual Victorian that I do
on a daily basis.

Bill Bremmer RPT