Blower

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:54:17 -0400

Clyde, when I worked for L.A. City Schools, we were issued some additional
specialty equipment. One of these items was a "Tornado" blower, if I recall
the name correctly.

Unquestionably an industrial item (never saw one in a store before or
since), it looked and sounded like a contactor's Skilsaw, with a funnel
instead of a blade. It was capable of generating a continuous torrent of
air at about 140mph. The startup torque from that puppy was similar to the
kickback from a shotgun, and it must have maxed out the 110v outlets, since
the lights flickered when it was turned on. Used by the unitiated, they
could just as easily remove felt parts, dampers, annoying children, and
practically anything else in the wake of the output. (One time, a grand
started to roll away from me during a "cleaning"... of course it was on a
hardwood gym floor at the time).

We were supposed to periodically use these to clean out grands wherever
they stood . [Once the dirt/debris was out of the piano, it became a
custodial problem, not the piano tech's... quite possibly one of the
reasons the two job assignments were always in conflict with each other].

Most of us left these "hurricanes in a can" in our homes/shops unless there
was a specific cause to use them. Otherwise, carrying that boat anchor
around in the trunk made the car headlights aim towards the trees.

Considering this, you're probably better off with Wim's suggestion... that
of using one of the bantam-sized air compressors. At least you'll have
something that's multiple-use. Or, as some of the other poster's mentioned,
a -good- quality ($$$), powerful vacuum with a hose-coupled exhaust.
Assisting the vacuum (blower) ocassionally with various brushes will often
surprise you.

At 07:14 PM 8/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Friends,
>
>I often tune pianos that have accumulated decades of dust in the nooks
>and crannies of the action.  I would like to take the action out of the
>house and use a blower to clean out the dust.  Anyone know of such an
>electric blower (not too weak, not too strong, and not a compressor) and
>a supplier?  Thanks in advance.
>
>Clyde Hollinger

Jim Harvey, RPT
Greenwood, SC
harvey@greenwood.net
 -- someone who's been in the field too long.