Dummy weights (was Re: Touchweight)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 15:59:48 -0400

Gosh, I think Keith is onto something here. Unable to readily lay hands on
my Skotch joiners, I had totally forgotten about the "self-leveling"
function; i.e., 4 contact points instead of two. Plus [guessing], if they
will penetrate flesh as easily as they do, it seems like finger pressure
only would suffice instead of a hammer, thus leaving four tiny 'incisions'
instead of two larger holes in the keysticks. I really must try this idea.

Newt: I'm sure Nossaman could 'whup' one of these up in a New [Jersey]
minute. The action spacing wouldn't be a problem, since he would abort on
the damper lever flanges, drill horizontal holes in the damper levers (or
facsimilies), and daisy-chain 'em on a section of aluminum conduit.
However, -mounting- the assembly, sectionally or otherwise, could present
an engineering dilemma!

Ron: Is your al-u-min-ium (Southern version) long enough for section work,
or for the entire keyboard? Could you dig it out and run some specs by --
length, rod diameter, washer diameter, and approximate number of washers
(or pounds) used? I can't find the original Whurlie description, but am
crazy enough to have another go at building one of these. I have LOTS of
experience at building projects that ended up in the round file!

Ed & Diane: Yeah, yeah... semper fi and all that <g>. You're both doing it
the -right- way. For my needs, I spend a lot of time and attention to
key/keyframe when doing a reconditioning. In refelting a keyframe, I
"abuse" the new material as much as possible (poor man's version of a
factory torture machine). Since the stack may be concurrently involved in
other processes, I'm specifically looking for something quick and dirty,
and something with less hassle than the backcheck weights. (And preferably,
something that doesn't go sailing across the shop -- or hit me in the
forehead -- when I forget that they're there and perform a mighty settling
blow to a key.)

Jim Harvey, RPT