Decals???

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:42:34 EDT

Et Al;
 I just recv'd a fax that originated, supposedly, from Bob Pierces son, Larry
Ashley....
In the fax..........
     "Mr. Dennis Hanson S&S Vice President and General Counsel states in a
letter, "Such activity (selling Steinway decals) is a clear violation of
federal Lanham Act, Trademark Counterfeiting act of 1984, state unfair
practices statues, and various other laws.".........."WHEREAS, to preserve
the STEINWAY standards of excellence, reputation and good will, Steinway has
decided to limit the application of new decals bearing the Steinway
trademarks to rebuild (they meant rebuilt), reconditioned, repaired, and
restored STEINWAY pianos to those which have been rebuilt, reconditioned,
repaired, and restored by Steinway or its authorized agents using genuine
Steinway parts and utilizing approved standards of quality and craftmanship,
and to accomplish this goal Steinway has appointed one exclusive manufacturer
of decals of the Steinway Trademarks and maintains close control over the
distribution of the use (they meant and the use) of these decals" "
  Does this mean that if we aren't an "authorized agent" of S&S and we
highlight the S&S "trademark" on the plate with black laquer that we are
violating their "trademark"??? Think this is a disingenious
proposition??.........would you have thought the same about about decals
before you read this 'supposedly authetic' fax??

  I don't know about anyone else but I find myself speechless.
 Is 'anyone on this list an "authorized agent" of S&S???
 Jim Bryant (FL)