Tunerspeak

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 08:14:28 -0400

>  In tuning  we are altering the interval by far less than a semitone, so the terms "wide" and "narrow" avoid ambiguity when conversing with musicians.

Thirty years ago when I was teaching tuning and piano technology I had
to find a way to help prevent confusing the students while they were
learning to temper intervals, to have a consistent language and
precisely express the needed concept to I stopped using "flat" or
"sharp" and started using "expanded" or "contracted" which was an easy
concept to grasp and eliminated confusion because of tuning the upper
or the lower note.

Any time confusion or obfuscation can be limited the better we
communicate.

		Newton