Off topic - reed organ

Steve Grattan lostchordclinic@ameritech.net
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:49:13 -0400

Roy Ulrich wrote:

> For lack of a better forum, I'll go ahead and ask this group as I
> suspect there may be one or two that restore reed organs as well??
>
> I have a customer with a "Metropolitan" reed organ; according to
> Pierce it was made by Estey. If I compare the serial number to Estey
> (organ) numbers it was made between 1852 and 1860 (serial number
> 13905), but I don't believe it's really that old. Can't find serial
> numbers for Metropolitan other than pianos. Any ideas? And do I have
> to show my real name?
>
> Roy Ulrich
> (real - flame if you must, sorry and curious)

Roy,

If you really, really wish to determine the age of the organ, you may
have to dismantle it somewhat.  I find that in 90% plus of the many
organs I restore that the tail of one or two of the keys in the bass
section will have a date and name of the action inspector written or
signed.  This is often the best indicator of its' age. Dismantle
carefully and do not brush or rub any parts until you find this writing.
Any attempt to clean it any other way than blowing the dust off will
usually wipe out the writing.  I usually clean around the area and seal
it with lacquer, thus preserving it.