noisy trichords

Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:28:05 -0400

Thanks to all of you who responded to the noisy trichord thread.  I have
trimmed the "fingers" of the trichords before and attained small amounts
of improvement, and always trim when installing new ones.  There were
some great ideas on methods of doing this while the dampers are still in
the piano, and some particularly creative ideas to further eliminate the
whoosh when trimming alone is not enough.

I still can't get it out of my head that the recording engineer should
take some responsibility for minimizing this problem.  After all, the
pianos sound just fine when being listened to with the "naked" ears.
Clearly, it is the placement of the mike that is exaggerating a sound
that is really quite unnoticeable otherwise.  Yeah, I know... wishin'
won't make it so....

Thanks again for all of your wonderful input.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com