Dummy weights (was Re: Touchweight)

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 15:36:33 -0400

Seems like a good place to plug this in. I have the backcheck weights for
bench reconditioning/regulation. I use 'em, and I hate 'em!

I was once tempted to assemble one of the Wurlitzer-style devices for
adding temporary weight to keys. I never finished the project. The
Wurlitzer method was that of using a length of all-thread, along with 'xxx'
washers flopping around on the rod, the washers obviously captive at the
ends with nuts. It occurred to me that 3~5 washer-widths (per key) might
not add sufficient mass to work, in spite of Wurlitzer claims that this was
their factory method for pre-leveling.

Has anyone ever tried this? OR, does anyone have comments on the nail-type
weights? OR, does anyone have any other ideas besides the backcheck weights?

Sorry for the tangential topic... otherwise it would be another ten years
before I remembered it again! 8-}

Jim Harvey, RPT