Soundboard cleaning elixir

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:12:48 -0400

Thanks for your various thoughts on this subject.

To Brian: You're right on target with your procedure, that is, instead of
adding to the problem, get the loose, easier stuff out first, then procede
to other methods for more difficult cleaning. I do think you should
consider offering cleaning packages as a "back-room" activity for
supplemental income. It has done well for me, to the extent that I have
Level I, II, and III cleaning "packages" available, and notate them
accordingly on my invoice. Customers don't often ask me about the service
either -- I plant the seeds for cleaning (and any other work) very
discretely during the initial service call, rather than pulling the idea
out of thin air. When the subject comes up again later (after more
significant work), it's presented non-aggressively, such as "would you like
me to schedule additional time during the next appointment for [the]
cleaning package?". This way, it doesn't come as new information to the client.

To Gina: Even here in Hooterville, it seems that liquid Spic & Span is in,
the powder version is out. Good idea, I'll add S&S(?) to my growing
collection of 'cootie' removers.

To Wim: I like the idea in principal, except that I don't ask the client
for "props". I bring whatever I need.  I will show them the results though
(the dirty water). [I've just finished assembling a dedicated "Level III"
cleaning kit, subject to testing/modification. I think it's going to work
out very nicely].

To Phil: I like the 'Dobie' idea, and have already acquired a similar pad,
based on your description. The only thing I dislike is that I didn't think
of it! 8-) Say hello to "our" brother for me.

To Newt: I already carry waterless hand cleaner in the service vehicle...
for me! Never thought of this particular use. I'm more 'askared' of this
than other substances, but what the hey... I'll give it a test drive on one
of the orphans at the university.

To JimRPT: I tried patience once. It didn't work either, so I'm looking for
something better/faster.

Again, thanks for the various responses. Now I need to find one or more
victims!

Jim Harvey, RPT

[Original post]