Wax on keybed

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:37:26 -0400

Get a sharp cabinet scraper.  Two or three actually each a little
smaller than the last.  A long scraper can be bowed slightly to take
wood off only in a specific area.  A scraper will take off a much or
as little as you want and will never tear out wood.  It will not
gouge, scratch, tear, chip, or otherwise damage wood.  It must be
SHARP to work well.  It will remove any coating, flatten the surface
and leave a pure wood surface and a glass smooth surface.

No solvents, wetness, spreading of contamination or fuzzy surface like
sandpaper.

I had a key frame that would not shut up its groans, squeaks and pops
and I used everything.  I finally got my scrapers and cleaned the
frame and the keybed and it has worked just fine since.

Scrapers are ancient tools that have gone out of favor because they
require skill to prepare and sharpen them and a little skill in using
them.  You need is very small and easy to do.

Scrapers will leave a surface glass smooth and ready to finish.

When my butcher block bench top gets dirty and covered with glue and
other contaminates I use a scraper to clean and resurface it.

		Newton