Samick G5 7' and V-pro

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:59:10 -0600

At 07:57 PM 22/08/99 +0000, you wrote:

>>Thanks also for your response on the V-Pro discussion, I'm not sure I'm
>>convinced.......I have been led to believe (and stand to be corrected that
>>slower cooling means that the skin of the cast iron is softer compared to
>>the sand cast stuff......comments?
>>

>Hi Mark.
>             Thank's for the info on Renner and Maple, now I'm a little
wiser.

>On V Pro vs sand cast.
>
>Point one V Pro is an iron alloy , and is not true grey cast iron, the ad
datives are used so that the plate does not fall apart due to the rapid
cooling.
>Point two the sand is wet prior to the pour and the electrical heating
tapes are turned on full bore at the start of the cast, the wet sand I
think has a case hardening effect on the skin of the cast, but I will have
to drag out my dusty old metallurgy books to confirm this.
>Since this discussion has been going for a bit I think that may be a good
idea.
>The variables  are, Hardness, ductility, compression strength. machining
qualities ect. I am sceptical about the acoustic properties, one vs the
other but the difference in mass has to enter into the equation. The V Pro
plates definitely seem thicker, is it to get the same rigidity????? I don't
know. so you have me thinking.

>Regards Roger
>
>P.S. What's the dates of your convention?
Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre
Saskatoon and Regina
Saskatchewan, Canada.