trichord damper noise

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:32:14 -0400

I service two recording studios in Columbus, Ohio.  The majority of the
sessions involving the pianos are jazz combos or pop, so there is little
solo piano work.  However, when a pianist DOES record some solo work, the
odds are good that he will comment on the noise ('swish') of the damper
felt rising and falling.  It's something that you rarely notice just
playing the piano, but listening to the recording of the piano it is
sometimes quite obvious.  I assume it is the trichord felt.

I was wondering if Ed, or another tech doing a lot of studio work might
have some insight into this problem.  I have always assumed it was the
recording engineer's problem to deal with, but if there is anything I can
do to help, I would sure be interested in hearing any ideas.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com