pianotech-digest V1997 #1919

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 18:51:42 -0500 (CDT)

>Seems like in the end we wont "know" for sure unless what you propose is
done Ron.

* Right, and that might not tell us exactly what we're looking for either.

>However there are indicators, and "informed" assumptions such as Eds that
>simply can not be discounted any more then you say they can be confirmed unless
>your "experiment" is carried out.

* Well, I confess I deleted Ed's post before I got wrapped up in this, so
I'm not exactly sure what he said. Any chance you could send me a private
repeat?

>What Mark proposes is kind of a half way there
>thing. One assumes that Yamaha constructs its different models using similiar
>technichs and materials. At the very least one has to assume that one Yamaha
>model has more in common thus then say a Yamaha and a Petrof (couldnt resist
>that comparision.. grin). If "listening" to the Yamaha variants with the V-Pro
>plate visa vi those without points further in the direction of Eds claim then
>that is just another hint. If not, well it certainly weakens his argument.

* You're absolutely right Richard. In fact, I don't know why they even
bother with the entire C series when the GH1 is a soooo much cheaper way to
get the "Yamaha Sound". The other piano in their line would be the CFIII,
naturally. Trouble is, is it the plate, or the dozen or so other different
design details, similar as they must be under the Yamaha name, that makes
them sound so much different? That sort of puts us back where we started,
doesn't it? I'm not saying there is no difference in hardness and internal
damping characteristics between sand cast and V-Pro plates. I thought it was
pretty well established that there is, and that it very probably does affect
the sound produced. What I am saying is that I don't think the difference is
as critical and discernable as a whole lot of other design details that
differ from model to model, and even the minute differences in materials and
execution from piano to piano within the same model. Do *all* the Yamaha
models with the V-Pro plates make the same objectionable noises? If the
plate is the cause, shouldn't they? That's similar to the question Mark
asked, and I'd still have to say that from what I've heard that I consider
objectionable, I'd be more likely to look to the hammers, scaling, and front
duplex as the likely cause. Do *all* the pianos in any given model line
sound alike? Do they *all* have the same zings and pings, or lack thereof,
each the same as the other? Sure, we can come up with two instances where
pianos of a certain model had similar objectionable noises, but we can also
come up with two instances where pianos of the same model did not, even
though they had the same plate type and overall design. I'm just having a
hard time seeing how this points to the plate as the culprit in the instance
of the two objectionable sounding pianos. Is it a recessive gene in the
pianos that don't exhibit the problem? Hey, I could be dead wrong here, it's
certainly happened before, but, pending another look at Ed's post, or any
other evidence to the contrary, I'll have to go with what I think is more
likely.

>Richard Brekne
>I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
>Bergen, Norway

BTW, I think I'm beginning to like the recessive gene theory.

 Ron N