Touchweight

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:31:40 +0200

Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 8/22/99 12:18:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time, you write:
>
> << I guess
>  this is a good example where bench regulation isn't always the most
>  accurate method. >>
>
> Ditto Roger 100%.  You can work the most efficiently if you look at the job
> that way.  There is only so much you can do on the bench.  I have never used
> a let-off/drop rack or any kind of "Rube Goldberg" key leveling device.  I
> use the bench for basic assembly and only the most basic regulation such as
> even spacing and a rough hammer line.
>
> The rest is always done in and at the piano. Does this mean taking the action
> in and out of the piano dozens of times?  Yes.  For key leveling, does this
> mean using a straight edge and "guessing" at the proper punchings, taking the
> whole action stack off each time, lifting up the balance rail punching and
> putting the paper and/or card punchings under it?  Yes.  Is this tedious and
> time consuming? Yes.  Are there any short cuts?  Yes and no.

Actually, I saw this rather brilliant bench top, built reportedly by Del, once at
a piano shop in Seattle. The hitch here was that you were to bed the keyboard
before takeing the piano to the shop. Once this was done this neat little
contraption was "bedded" to the keyframe. Thereby the fully assembled action was
resting on a platform which nearly perfectly matched the bed in the piano. I got
to use it once do an action prep on a small Petrof grand. It all worked out
pretty good. I was able to do pretty presise regulation on the bench, especially
key leveling was a snap, and that saved a lot of time. I have thought many times
of building one of these myself, as its not too difficult a task, but have never
gotten around to it.

> It is a good idea to have a little stool that you can use to sit on that
> brings you eye level with the action cavity.

I agree wholeheartedly

> Bill Bremmer RPT

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.