pianotech-digest V1997 #1919

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 16:02:34 -0500 (CDT)

>The Yamaha CF3S (9') does not have a "V-PRO" plate, whereas all the other
grands (and uprights) do.  My question is: Do those techs servicing CF3S's
find the same sound quality being attributed to the plate in both CF3S's and
all other Yamaha grands?  I already have an opinion, I'm just being curious,
I guess.

>Mark Wisner
>Yamaha

Hi Mark,
Personally, I don't hear *any* characteristic sound quality that I can
positively attribute to the V-PRO plate, and that was my point. There are
way too many other factors that will affect the instrument's voice for me to
be able to blame the plate for any single one. If anyone else can hear the
difference, I'd sure like to know how they can separate the other design
differences from the overall sound and isolate the plate induced difference.
That sounds like a pretty handy trick to me, and I'd like to know how it's
done. That's why I proposed the little experiment of making sand cast plates
and, leaving all other aspects of construction as similar as possible,
listening to the difference in sound produced by each type. That should
minimize the effects of any construction and design differences except for
the plate, so we could find out.

 Ron N