pianotech-digest V1997 #1919

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:53:51 +0200

Mark Wisner wrote:

> "Easily enough verified. Just procure four, or more, of each model of Yamaha
> and replace the V-Pro plates of half of each (the bigger the sampling, the
> more definite the results) with traditional sand cast plates and listen
> carefully to the results. For a mere quarter of a million dollars or so, you
> could (maybe) lay the matter to rest. You could be the first, and the
> industry would be (figuratively) in your debt."
>
> The Yamaha CF3S (9') does not have a "V-PRO" plate, whereas all the other grands (and uprights) do.  My question is: Do those techs servicing CF3S's find the same sound quality being attributed to the plate in both CF3S's and all other Yamaha grands?  I already have an opinion, I'm just being curious, I guess.
>
> Mark Wisner
> Yamaha

Hmmm... Interesting thought.. I have only had a couple chances to listen to 9" Yamahas, We had one in town a couple years ago that nobody could sell (Not a lot of market for 9 footers in Norway, and Steinway has a corner on that market). At the time I was so suprised at the selling price of this almost unused
instrument that I didnt really think along these lines. (They were asking only 25,000 Dollars, 200,000 NOK). The other time I got to listen to one was on stage side by side with a 9 foot Steinway. There I was more taken by the difference in carrying power over distance. But if memory serves me right, tho the
Yamaha sounded more er... "up front" when you were right on top of it, it didnt have the fullness or shall I say raw power that the Steinway had. Been a while back so I am drawing on memory long past. I cant say I remember anything about this buisness of a "metallicish" tinge to the sound. I will have to pay
closer attention next time around.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway