historical tuning 1805

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 15:10:30 EDT

In a message dated 8/21/99 11:44:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time, you write:

<< > tuning four fifths flat 1/4 comma to produce a pure third.

 I would be most useful, in thinking through these concepts, if you
 people would use "expanded" and "contracted" intervals.  I get
 confused when trying to "flatten" an interval using the lower note to
 contract an interval.

 I am interested in HTs but am mainly an ET tuner now that I am out of
 the University scene.

You are absolutely right.  Strictly speaking, you would have to tune both
notes of an interval flat of standard pitch in order for the *interval* to be
"flattened".  However, to be kind, and also to understand what people meant
historically, "narrowed", "contracted" and "flattened" could all be taken to
mean the same thing as well as "widened, "expanded" and "sharpened" (when
speaking of an interval).  Also "pure", "perfect" and "beatless" may be
considered synonymous.

There still seems to be the mindset that as a tuner, you could only do two
things:  tune a perfect ET or tune something at completely the opposite end
of the spectrum, the 1/4 comma meantone.  I haven't really tuned either one
for over 10 years for any customer and I have never been associated with any
university.  There have been only a few exceptions and those have been the
tuning of ET for a PTG RPT "Master" Tuning and once when I did the 1/4 comma
meantone on my own piano at home and once when I did it for Owen Jorgensen at
the Convention in Dearborne.

The 1/4 comma meantone is really a very extreme way to tune a modern piano.
It absolutely kills every bit of resonance that the piano is capable of
producing.  You get the stillest, quietest sound you could possibly imagine.
It transforms the very nature of the piano into having a kind of "antique
piano" sound.  Many would call it "weird".  It is however appropriate for
playing very early music.  Owen Jorgensen himself states plainly that ET is
not.

It is suggested that a technician learn to do it as a very basic skill in HT
tuning, on one's own piano or that of a friend who might be interested.  It
will be so far off from ET that it will take at least two tunings to get it
back to ET or whatever other milder temperament you may desire.

My interest has been in finding the most musically appropriate temperament
and octave arrangement for tuning the modern piano.  Some, if not most
believe that strict ET with "naturally" stretched octaves serves best as a
"one size fits all" arrangement but I believe there is a more appropriate
choice and that is what I do for all of my customers.

Bill Bremmer RPT