Hammer spring replacement

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 06:48:47 -0500

Clyde,

I don't know if I read the Journal article mentioned, but it will probably
answer your questions.  I believe the springs are brass.  Cut the tip of one
and look closely...brass or some blend thereof.  Also, I use a bamboo scewer
to slip into the spring loops to keep them in place.   This is essential.
You can buy about 100 of these in a pack (cheap) at a grocery store. If the
ones you buy are too fat, just sand them down buy running them through
sandpaper in your hand, etc. After pulling the springs through (pulling them
through too hard will tighten the coil and give you very tight springs), I
tap them down into the slot with a screwdriver blade to press fit them.
Often times these corrode at the coil because of humidity held by the
springrail cloth, so I always replace the cloth and use titebond, being
careful not to expose the springs to any kind of moisture i.e., wallpaper
remover from removing the cloth, or hide glue water, etc. After you get them
in it is important to get the new spring tension right, otherwise the piano
will feel VERY heavy.  I always check the old spring tension if some of them
still worked well or try to duplicate what a new piano would have.  I
imagine that now I would use a gram scale or gram tension tool to get them
even, but I've not done one in a while. Once you do one rail, it'll be one
of those jobs you enjoy and can charge premium price for being an expert.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter