V Pro discussion

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:37:36 +0200

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 8/19/1999 11:00:30 AM, richardb@c2i.net writes:
>
> << some tech
> say the ability of a piano to carry the sound over distance is partially
> determined by the plates acoustic properties. >>
>
> Richard this may be so ???.............. but I would venture to say it has
> more to do with the "select hardwood" rims on these thingees :-)
> Jim Bryant (FL)

Grin.. Like I said. I personally think the carrying power thingy has more to
do with other things then the plate. But what do I know ???? :)  My point is
that there are lots of indicators pointing in the direction of Eds
conclusions.  Tho I aggree with the consensus that there is not enough to out
and out support his contention. Still its tempting to think along these lines
when so many things add up more or less in that direction.

As far as these techs who believe the plate is partly responsible. I seem to
remember something about the plate absorbing too much sound energy and
projecting this itself, rather weakly and thinly at that, which was supposed
to explain the tinnish sound you get. This was a few years ago and all this is
still a bit over my head, and it was wayyyy over my head then. Im enjoying the
disscussion tho, and picking up new thoughts and ideas with each post.

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.
Bergen, Norway