stability question

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:07:07 -0700 (MST)

Hi K:

You are lucky! The worst worst situation for church pianos is where heating
and air conditioning is turned on only on Sat. night and Sunday mornings.
Our church is this way. My son Phil and I take turns tuning the piano about
once every months or two. The only main thing which happens environmentally
in your situation is that the warm bodies come on Sunday.

If you can measure torque on the tuning pins, that may be and indicating
that you need to do something about the pins, however, if after you treat,
re-pin or whatever and you still have the problem, then you must try to
find out how the piano is being used. Are you finding broken Bass strings
occasionally? This would indicate that the piano is just being beaten to
death. If this is the case, they need amplification for the piano. No
amount of treatment of the pins is going to solve that problem.

If there are strings which slip down a half step between tunings, then I
would say that there is a tuning pin (pinblock) problem. If there are just
a few pins which respond radically like this, then the CA glue may be a
solution for this case.

We need more information about how the piano is going out of tune.

Jim Coleman, Sr.