historical tuning 1805

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 23:34:58 -0500

> On a not-to-recent-subject, now that Montal is old hat, I can't recall if
> Gall 1805 has been mentioned on list yet? That's another non-English
> source that would not have made it into Jorgenson's books. Anyone? If
> it's also well-known I won't bother to quote from it.
>
> stephen
>
> Stephen Birkett Fortepianos

Gall is not listed in the _New Groves_ bblg of the article "Temperaments" by Mark
Lindley.
He lists his sources in the secquence they were first published. ie Montal is listed
as,  C. Montal: Abrege de l'art........(Paris 1834).   Or I did mot see Gall in the
1800 -1900 section.

	So who is Gall and what did he have to say?      ric