Was V-Pro, now welded plates

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 11:47:31 -0500 (CDT)

>>uh, who said anything about welding?
>>

>So Del,   Planning on bolting them together?  I have a client down this
>way who spent nearly forty years welding nuclear subs together and he
>thought welding would be a tough nut to crack.  Something about stress
>relief.  I'm getting ready to build that steel capo we talked about ince,
> for the Hallet Davis grand.  Nothing very intricate,  just substantial.
>

>Dale

Del,
Out of curiosity, I did a little browsing in my Machinery's Handbook. The
casting shrinkage allowance for steel is listed as nearly twice that of cast
iron. That little tidbit, naturally, just raised more questions. Are you
having steel plates cast, or are you going to rivet them together and paint
them with iron oxide primer, like a bridge? As much as that appeals to me, I
kind of doubt that's what you're doing, so I'm assuming cast. Perhaps you've
got a small (even local) foundry cornered that is more flexible and will
work with you with small lots. Possibly cheaper too?

Dale,
This sounds like fun. Is it a repair, or a design change?

 Ron N