V Pro discussion

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 18:44:21 +0200

JIMRPT@AOL.COM wrote:

> Et Al;
>  I suppose I have lost track of this thread somewhere or my powers of
> deduction/observation are slipping..............I see where some Yamahas are
> subject to "plate ring" because they have v-pro plates and........I see where
> sand cast Yamahas have "plate ring". and where Yamahas have a "metallic"
> sound.

Grin.. Proaabbly  my fault there. Terminology is definatly not my strong point.
That being said, I have always kinda thought of "plate ring" as being the general
sound the plate contributes to the whole sound picture, not just that sometimes
annoying thumpish ding heard on some old Yamahas, and Korean makes (especially
noticable on the higher notes)

> Then I see where v-pro plates are "softer" than sand cast plates (I
> tend to agree with this theory) and yet they supposedly have more "plate
> ring" than do their "harder sand cast" cousins...................have I
> missed something important somewhere?.........A 'softer' metal having more
> ring to it than a 'harder' metal??

My point was more directed to the degree of poreishness (theres a good word :) )
This if I am not mistaken is Eds point as well.

> And now Richard says that the plate rings
> on S&S and Yamaha are 'different'.......well yeah that's  true....... buuuuut
> everything else between Yamaha and S&S are different............. why would
> plate ring zyphers be the exception?

I see no reason why the two shouldnt be different in as many regards as you
mention. I just dont like (personal taste I guess) that metallic ringish whoooshh
I hear on older Yamahas and to a lesser degree on the newer ones as well. I just
got done working on a 3 year old C6. That ringy echoish whooshish "sound" really
took away from the whole picture.

>  What I view as "plate ring" is a discernible, distinct tone emanating from
> the plate when struck a sharp blow or when excited by a harmonic(s) from the
> strings. A completely seperate and distinctly different problem/challenge
> than duplex scale noises, etc.

Looks like you have the majority with you there, so I will have to adjust my use
of words I guess. :)  However it does strike me that this plate noise I am
bothered by becomes more anoying when a duplex scale becomes more and more active
with age and wear and tear. I am often able to reduce it considerably by insuring
a half millimeter (and clean) de Capo termination and makeing sure the hammers
are in good shape and contact all the strings solidly.

>  Not trying to be difficult but is this a circular discussion vis a vis
> "plate rings"??

Difficult ??? you ???? (grin)

> Jim Bryant (FL)

Richard Brekne