Accu-just Hitch pins - any time, any place!

BSimon999@AOL.COM BSimon999@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:00:14 EDT

Some technicians wrote;

<<If it appears that putting in the acujust pins will give a proper bearing,
go for it. >>
and
<<"Why don't you order some accu-just pins from Baldwin and drill  & insert
'em?"

I find it amazing that most of the technicians I have been reading think that
Accu-just hitch pins can be put in any place in any plate.  Drilling holes
for these pins can weaken a plate, especially when they are put in the line
of where the old hitch pins were placed. PERHAPS Baldwin knows better than
these technicians and PERHAPS they designed to plate to take the stresses!

I know of two pianos that catastrophically failed when Accu-just hitch pins
were installed. In both cases the plate broke off at the hitch pin line
before the piano was even up to pitch. These failures were  back when
Accu-just hitch pins had just been introduced, but the pianos currently being
"upgraded" with new pins were not designed for this type of replacement.
There is not only degradation of the plate strength due to removal of
material, but also the leverage effect of not having the strings sit at plate
level. Any other disasters out there?

Come on you engineers and physicists, - tell me why replacement is all right!

Bill Simon
Phoenix