V-Pro discussion

Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:16:35 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bdshull@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: V-Pro discussion

> Del:
>
> I have cared for a Steinway "C" from the late 1880's which has the words
> "Steinway Foundry Steel Casting" on the plate.  The university has given
up
> on the piano, and is renting it out.  I assume it really is a steel plate,
> but maybe it is just a variation of cast iron.  What do you know about
this,
> and might it be a superior "C" when restored (currently still has some
ring
> and sustain, even though it has thoroughly beaten treble strings and loose
> teflon centers).  I'm out of my league here with the design/engineering
> discussion, but have always wondered about this Steinway plate.
>
> Bill Shull

Bill,

ALL model C's are worth remanufacturing!  This scale is quite unique -- I
think -- among pianos of this size.  The original scaling was fairly
erratic, but with great potential.  With an appropriate new bridge, it works
out to have a relatively low tension scale.  Matched to an appropriately
thin and responsive soundboard, they have a wonderful, clean and clear
sound.  It is my personal favorite of all of the S&S models.  They could use
hammers made the way Steinway used to make them if only we could find them.
Lacking that, a good Isaacs hammer will do.

I don't know what the metallurgy was in the Steinway "Steel" castings.  I
have drilled into them (of course), but have never had anything analyzed.
They drill and grind pretty much like most plates of the era.