V-Pro discussion

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:20:30 EDT

Del:

I have cared for a Steinway "C" from the late 1880's which has the words
"Steinway Foundry Steel Casting" on the plate.  The university has given up
on the piano, and is renting it out.  I assume it really is a steel plate,
but maybe it is just a variation of cast iron.  What do you know about this,
and might it be a superior "C" when restored (currently still has some ring
and sustain, even though it has thoroughly beaten treble strings and loose
teflon centers).  I'm out of my league here with the design/engineering
discussion, but have always wondered about this Steinway plate.

Bill Shull