Back from Taiwan; Ron's Math Receptors (Non-Technical)

Bdshull@AOL.COM Bdshull@AOL.COM
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 03:05:48 EDT

<< I sure wish I could pound some of the missing math receptors into this old
 brain, I could certainly use them.

  Ron N

Ron, List:

Gee, Ron, its late;  you and Del do better than me on 4 or 5 hours of sleep,
I think.    I am now back from Taiwan (got to do a 35 cent pitch raise on the
GH2  which I got to sing with for my brother-in-law's wedding in Taipei).  So
I have a jet-lag excuse for being up this late.   ("Non-Technical" is
referring to the post, by the way...surely not you, Ron.)

Never heard from any tech from Taiwan - I will be going back sometime, and
hope to connect with someone in the piano tech field there when I do.
Checked my e-mail 3 or 4 times in Taiwan - had about 150 pianotech posts each
time, and couldn't resist at least checking a few.  My hotel did not have
internet access (but the rooms were cheap!), so I had to get it where I could
find it - at my father-in-law's office adjacent to the Taiwan Adventist
Hospital - he is a magazine art editor - and the computer store chain
"T-Zone" (where the keyboards all have at least 3 Chinese characters per key
plus the Arabic). There was even an internet room at the CKS International
Airport - where English is an option.  Email is a passable way to communicate
with your business associate, but usually you still end up talking on the
phone.

You've never lived until you ride a cab in Taipei (which you must do all the
time).  So much fun I forgot to get carsick.  Took videos so I can make my
friends and family carsick, though (if they're gullible enough to watch them).

I was in Taiwan at the peak of the latest Strait scare - promised my kids I
was going to watch the amphibious landing from the top of a hill with my
binocs.  Shucks, no such luck (or I would still be holed up in a Madagascar
embassy, or worse).

It was never colder than 80 degrees Farenheit, or drier than 80%RH (I'm
guessing here).  The beaches were equally hot and muggy.  But no cold air to
activate my asthma, and I got used to it quickly.  Most cabs and buildings
have A/C, but you spend much time walking outside (not living in the car, as
here).  The food is incredible and inexpensive (usually), but you cannot gain
weight because of all the walking (and it is CHINESE food anyway).  I lost 5
pounds (now only have to lose another 30.....)

Really sorry I missed the convention and the List meting - hope to see you
all in DC next year.

Bill Shull
University of Redlands, La Sierra University