Another Petrof post...

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:48:13 -0400

Hi List,

With the recent discussions of the Petrof, I thought I'd chime in.  I =
had to tune one today, (studio), and was noticing a couple of things.

1)  I noticed that the decay rate of the tone was considerably longer =
than a number of other pianos I've worked on.  It wasn't particularly =
powerful, but it just kept going, and going, and going...  at least up =
to about C above middle C.  Then it really dropped off and decay wasn't =
much different than a lot of other pianos.

2)  It was fairly nice in overall sound in the midrange and the bass, =
but the treble left a bit to be desired.  (It wasn't pure and clean =
sounding, had a lot of false beats.)

3)  I took a look at the bridge notching.  Some was fair to average, and =
some left some to be desired.  Looked to have been done in a hurry.

4)  It had an irritating 'ring' in it.  I didn't go nuts over it but =
there was a tone produced which roughly equated to a muffled pizzicato =
type note plucked on the F above middle C just after most any hammer hit =
it's respective string.  (That wonderful aluminum action frame does it =
again!)

5)  The pinblock felt good.  Not too tight, not too loose, nice and =
even.  The tuning seemed to be pretty stable and I believe it will hold =
as well as a good number of other pianos.  It actually tuned quite =
easily, other than the top 1 1/2 octave, which was a bear with all the =
'wows' and 'twangs' and 'false beats'.

Overall, I can see how a piano player could like them quite well.  But =
like most of the other pianos I've seen for sale, it could have been =
better.  Sometimes I get a little depressed that I don't see the kind of =
quality coming from factories, even Steinway and Baldwin (and a number =
of others...) that I know they are capable of doing.  Many of them are =
fair.  Some are good.  Precious few are excellent.=20

Just a few observations.

Best to you all,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA