Impedance Matching

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 20:01:48 -0500 (CDT)

>Del,
>I'd second the notion that soundboard characteristics change with load.
>For SURE!
>
>While I'd agree that a modal analysis is meaningless without the full system
>(strings), it can be very valuable calibrating FEA models.  It's very simple
>to add/remove components of a finite element model and is invaluable for
>checking the accuracy of parts of a very complicated model (like a piano).
>
>I know, "so what are you waiting for"?
>I'll get back to it ;-)
>
>doug richards
>San Jose, CA

Well, sure, soundboard characteristics change under load, but how much? My
point is that we, or at least I, make design decisions based on how I think
the board will respond in use, not how it sounds lying on the floor. I have
no way to determine how the board reacts without the string load. I can't
hear it without the strings, so I am, in effect, factoring the difference
into the design. How well it works in use is determined by how good my
initial design was, how accurate my judged factoring was, and the
characteristics of the materials being used being what I thought they were.
If we could compute an unloaded impedance gradient of the assembly, across
the scale, with the physical information we *do* have, and working backward
from the way it *sounds* in use, compared to what the computed gradient
says, we should get both a roughly quantifiable cause and effect
relationship (which we are already working with, without the detailed
figures), and some idea of the difference between the loaded, and unloaded
states. Again, I believe the differences between the unloaded state of the
assembly, and the loaded state, can be quantified to a practical degree
without taking a FEA model to the sub atomic level on every single piano
that's worked on. The impedance loads, taken from the scale and bearing
schedules should be relatively simply applicable to the computed static
impedance model of the assembly, wouldn't you think? It ought to be
proportional, shouldn't it? How close to an absolute dead center impedance
match/mismatch is necessary before we are beyond the resolution
(granularity?) of the medium with which we are working... wood? What the
heck IS the ideal match between soundboard assembly and string plane, given
high impedance mountings and terminations? That's what I was getting at. I
suppose it's still a chicken/egg sort of thing though. Someone has to do it
the hard way and make it work before it can be simplified to usability.

I sure wish I could pound some of the missing math receptors into this old
brain, I could certainly use them.

 Ron N