Soundboard cleaning elixir

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:08:17 -0400

While restringing an old square Steinway (I know, I know, just don't
say it) that looked like it had lived in a steel mill town we were
having trouble getting the soundboard to look anywhere near clean.  In
the way of an experiment I tried some mechanics waterless hand
cleaner.  The board ended up looking like it had been refinished with
that warm glow that old wood with fine finishes look like.  The
cleaner when down into the pours of the finish and lifted out all that
old crud just like it does on your hands.  Did the job it was designed
to do.  Go to your local auto supply store and ask for a waterless
hand cleaner without a grit.

		Newton