Baldwin hitch pin replacement?

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 08:30:58 -0400

Re: Baldwin grand  H (?)   scale E

Can the hitch pins be replaced with tension pins so
the excessive downbearing can be eased a la 'accu-just',
rather than raising the height of the plate support dowels?

The bass, for instance, has 1/4" bearing at the moment. I don't
think the summer humidity has moved the bridge that much.

I was lazy when destringing and did not check bearing (it's only a Baldwin
:-)
The tone was lackluster. And the board had a 'thunk' sound when pounded
with a clenched fist. It is not a candidate for a new board.
But now the board produces a tone when hit.

I believe the excessive bearing which was not addressed during the last
restringing
killed some of the tone and hopefully the board has sprung back a little.
Big hope.  :-)

In any case, that's what I have to work with and I'm hoping for a simple
solution
to the bearing issue.

If I pull the plate again, I'll set the bearing with wood screws set in the
plate
bolt holes for adjusting height as Chris Robinson explained during one of
his classes.   'Accu-just' would be nice too.

Regards,

Jon Page,  Harwich Port,  Cape Cod,  Mass.  mailto:jpage@capecod.net