Refinish update-final

Ken Jankura kenrpt@mail.cvn.net
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 00:02:20 -0400

List,
I want to thank all who answered my question on quick refinishing of old
alligator shellac uprights. I ended up using a combination of the
suggestions submitted. I used Simple Green to clean, degrease etc., though
I did buy some Soilax afterward to try on my next one. The 'vinagrette'
(equal parts linseed oil, denatured alcohol, turpentine, vinegar) did
dissolve the finish somewhat and under my inexperienced hand left some
splotchy areas, though I can see where this could be used very effectively.
Howard's Restor-a-Finish almost seems like a non-drying oil/stain, which
can very quickly make a noticeable improvement, about like the
turpentine/linseed mix, but with some added scratch covering ability. There
is no quick great solution, but the piano does look better, so again thanks
for the assistance.
Ken Jankura